Star War Imperial Assault game review



I just finished my first few game of Imperial Assault Skirmish this weekend and thought it would be good to review how the game played, what I liked about the game and any lessons I learnt (many)


So how does the game work is a good point to start.

Imperial assault is a two player skirmish game. Strike teams (Army) is constructed by each player and are limited by points (40) and faction Imperial, Rebel and Mercenary.

My First list was 

Luke Skywalker (if you don't know who this is why are you reading this :) )

Gaarkhan the Guardian, brawler wookie

Gideon Argus - Leader (who is this guy? I don't know but he is cheap and buff's your models)

Elite Rebel Troopers (You get 3, think the guys that get killed by Stormtroopers at the being of Star Wars A New Hope Ep.4) 

Rebel Saboteur (you get 2 Duros models)

Rebel Saboteur (you get 2 Duros models)

So 10 models and 6 Activation is it good? not sure but it was fun. oh and if your wondering what a Duros is (see below)


Duros

My opponent Jay wanted to play Imperial (well Vader really) his list was 

Vader
Elite Imperial Officer
Imperial Office
Stormtrooper (you get 3)
Royal guard (you get 2)

So Jay's Strike team 8 models and 5 deployments. This seemed a bit small to me but Vader is 18 of you 40 points and IMO well worth the points.

The Mission we played was on the Massassi Ruins map. Leave no Evidence is the name of the mission and the deal is for both forces to remove crates from the board worth 6 points each and kill models of the opponent for more points - first player to 40 points win.



One added interesting thing about this map is there is a Communication Beacon and if you control this by the end of the round (All models have activated) you can call in a bomber strike which deals 2 damage to a figures in the green area of the map (60% of the play area) 


So having more models in my force allowed me to remove 2 crates of evidence - makes me wonder what the rebels are trying to hide? this got me 12 points early in the game and because I've watched more games on YouTube than Jay I targeted the officers and kill them both.

Imperial Officers make other models move out of their own activation and in the case of the elite officers those models can attack too (No double Vader turns thank you) 

Jay went on a Vader rampage (Many rebels were sacrificed!) 

I'm not going to turn by turn description of the game but the highlights were Stormtrooper being annihilated by my wookie in one corridor and rebel troops and saboteur having an equally bad time with Vader.

The last 2 acts of the game was Vader getting Luke 1 point of damage from death (talk about abusive dads - didn't he like the Light saber case he got for fathers day?) and I realising I might not win regardless of being the only player thinking about scenario (remember the crate of evidence).

So I chase down the last surviving Stoormtrooper and  gun him down for the win but it was close.

The map and balance of points in scenario and combo of removing the crates of evidence but risking the damage from the communication beacon made this mission and map very interesting and challenging.

Lessons I learnt from this game.

Run away from Vader, Stun Vader, lead Vader away from the action. Speed and number of activation is important for scenarios and careful planning of order of activation is a big part of this game.

The game balance is good IMO for example is a model like Vader good (Yes) but is he worth almost half your army? (Yes, I guess) and I really like how scenario generally helps you toward victory but engaging and killing you opponent models is a big part of the game too.

Next time I'm going to talk about the other huge part of this game (Command Decks)

Good luck and may the force be with you!



Comments